Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The LA Music Community

Los Angeles can feel like a vast, overwhelming city with very little sense of community. There are so many people coming and going--it is known as a very transient place. One of the toughest things about living here for me has been that I have never felt a part of the music community...until now. I recently went to Austin for South by Southwest, and while I was there I spent most of my time seeing LA-based bands and hangin' out with LA-based industry peeps. I started to realize that the music community gets smaller and smaller the longer you remain a part of it. I realized just how many wonderful, talented people I know in Los Angeles. There is a community here, you just have to fight a little bit harder to feel like you're a part of it.

Austin was amazing. It is a city built for live music, and it is my favorite city in the US. I go there a lot--it is kind of like my second home. It was really nice to feel a connection between my life there, and my life here. It made the world, and the music community in particular, seem a little bit smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment